The Roman Mysteries is a series of seventeen historical novels set in Ancient Rome, along with half a dozen supplementary titles. (For a full list of the books, go to the bottom of this page) Aimed at children aged 7 - 14, the books offer exciting openings for lines of enquiry into almost every aspect of Roman life, including social structure, daily life, mythology, religion, entertainment and leisure. The BBC did a glossy adaptation of ten of the books in twenty 30 minute episodes. The DVD box set gives an excellent idea of the look of ancient Rome and Greece while providing enough variation from the books to stimulate fun discussion and analysis.
In order to concentrate on her writing
Caroline generally reserves October and March for author visits in the UK.
November and April are generally set aside for research & promotion abroad.
Caroline is now taking bookings for October 2014.
To see her free days, go HERE.
In a SINGLE hour-long talk illustrated by artefacts & images from her travels, Caroline shares her secrets for plotting stories, finding characters and creating a detailed world of adventure. Caroline offers a variety of talks (see below). There is time for Q&A afterwards and book signing if schools want to sell her books.
1. 'How to Write a Great Story' - fun talk with more emphasis on writing plot & characters (8 - 12 yrs)
2. 'Mysteries of Ancient Rome' - exciting talk with more emphasis on Pompeii & Rome (8 - 12 yrs)
3. 'Historical Detectives' - fun talk with more emphasis on The P.K. Pinkerton Mysteries (8+)
4. 'Myth, Movies & Storytelling' - more advanced talk about 'The Hero's Journey' in myth & movie (12+)
(with visual references to Theseus, Jesus, Star Wars & The Hunger Games)
5. 'Romans on the Bay of Naples' - perfect for school groups planning a trip to Pompeii and its environs
6. 'Speedy Creative Writing Workshop' - still speaking to big numbers, Caroline introduces kids to Five Powerful Writing Techniques then asks them to do a speedy one-minute exercise based around each one: 1. Recipe for a Hero; 2. How to Plunder the Greek Myths; 3. Seven Plot Beats of a Great Story; 4. (Day)Dream up a Setting; 5. Five Sensory Speech Markers
The school must provide 200+ children aged 8 - 12.
(Some schools invite in a couple of classes from neighbouring schools to make up numbers)
The school must also have a projector, screen, darkened hall and a lapel microphone, so Caroline can raise and lower her voice dramatically!
Caroline provides her iBook laptop (with mini DVI adaptor).
The cost is £250 plus VAT & travel (from Clapham Junction).
(Possible surcharge of £100-£200 for journey time of more than three hours)
Schools can either invite in a local bookseller or get books from the publishers at a discount.
For more information, email CarolineLawrence [at] me [dot] com
- Read an excerpt from the first book in the series, The Thieves of Ostia
- What kids think of the books - fan mail, updated weekly
- Ideas for Teachers - topics for discussion and class work in The Thieves of Ostia
- Themes and Topics in the Roman Mysteries
- A Day in Ostia Antica - a guide to visiting the real site of my fictional books
- How to Make a Stola - how to make a Roman costume from a single sheet
- Pulchra's Roman Beauty Tips - surprising ways the Romans made themselves beautiful
- Writing Tips - Caroline's best tips, and exercises which can be done in class
- How to Get Published - more advice on how to become a writer
- Titles 1-8 are perfect for classes studying ROMANS in Key Stage 2.Titles 9 & 10 are suitable for classes studying GREEKS in Key Stages 2 & 3.Titles 11-13 & 16-17 are suitable for classes studying ROMANS at Key Stage 3.Titles 14 & 15 are great for classes studying EGYPT in Key Stages 2 & 3.
THE ENTIRE ROMAN MYSTERIES SERIES: (titles in red are available on DVD)
I The Thieves of Ostia - the friends meet and solve their first mystery
II The Secrets of Vesuvius - a riddle and danger as Vesuvius erupts
III The Pirates of Pompeii - who's taking children from the refugee camp?
IV The Assassins of Rome - Jonathan's search takes him to Rome
V The Dolphins of Laurentum - sunken treasure and Lupus's past
VI The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina - romance & mystery in Ostia
VII The Enemies of Jupiter - plague and fire in Rome, early AD 80
VIII The Gladiators from Capua - opening of the Colosseum, AD 80
IX The Colossus of Rhodes - the four friends take a cruise in May...
X The Fugitive from Corinth - then pursue a fugitive around Greece
XI The Sirens of Surrentum* - the Bay of Naples for poison & decadence
XII The Charioteer of Delphi - a famous racehorse goes missing
The Code of Romulus - a World Book Day booklet (now a collector's item)
The First Roman Mysteries Quiz Book - Roman fashion, food, music & more
XIII The Slave-girl from Jerusalem - courtroom drama in Ostia
Trimalchio's Feast and other Mini-Mysteries - a collection of short stories
The Second Roman Mysteries Quiz Book - Roman medicine, love, marriage & more
XIV The Beggar of Volubilis - a caravan across North Africa
From Ostia to Alexandria with Flavia Gemina (a Travel Guide)
XV The Scribes from Alexandria - Egypt and Nubia in Roman times
XVI The Prophet from Ephesus - the four go to Asia Minor (Turkey)
XVII The Man from Pomegranate Street - who killed Titus & whom does Flavia marry?
Roman Mysteries Box Set; Seasons 1 & 2 DVD
THE ROMAN MYSTERY SCROLLS (for 7+)
I The Sewer Demon - Threptus the ex-beggar boy must overcome a creature from below
II The Poisoned Honey Cake - Threptus gets in trouble when he steals a cake from an altar
III The Thunder Omen - During the Saturnalia, Threptus and Floridius try to rig the omens
IV The Two-faced God - Threptus sees the god of the new year: Janus! Or does he?
also by Caroline Lawrence:
THE WESTERN MYSTERIES
1. The Case of the Deadly Desperados, the first of P.K. Pinkerton's adventures
2. The Case of the Good-looking Corpse, the shoot-outs book
3. The Case of the Pistol-packing Widows, Carson City shenanigans
4. The Case of the Bogus Detective, the stage-coach book
*the Sirens of Surrentums, although carefully written for children, contains some Adult Themes